Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Breaking out of the box

Hey there lovely,

Recently, after months of agonizing over a final decision, I wrote my farewell letter to five years worth of friends and customers from a recent journey. I'm a pretty primo multi-tasker (if I do say so myself!), but in order to move forward, I had to cut away one of the things that was holding me back.

I've been wanting to get back into writing FOR-EV-ER. Well, years, at least (if you happen to see the last post I had here, you know - two years ago. Oops.

Really, I dream of writing all the words, all the time. But too often I found myself wasting time with other endeavors. Like Facebook. To plan my business. Naturally.

*cough*

So, with a tear in my eye and butterflies in my stomach, I said goodbye to something that I loved tremendously.

Now, in it's place, is this - Shorty with a Story.

Much like anything else I do in life, I've decided to jump back into this writing thing head first, with much gusto and little thought.

I do a lot of faking it 'til I make it.

Generally it turns out great. Sometimes, eh, not so much. Hopefully this turns out to be a happy medium.

I think one of the main reasons why it took so long for me to jump back on this bandwagon was because of fear. I was afraid of not being enough. Or being too much. Or even worse, something mundane and in-between. Ugh.

It took months of hemming and hawing over what I want the "theme" of this blog was going to be. 

Should it be yet another mom blog, similar to the humor column I had once upon a time in a little podunk, small town newspaper? My kids are so much older now - who really wants to hear funny stories about teens. And, could I tell those tales without being a total embarrassment to said teens?

Would it be funny and/or cringe-worthy stories from various work and volunteer projects? Gracious knows I have a lot of those. But then again, who doesn't?

Would it be about life in general? Do you want to hear about my totally irrational fear (of deer, no less) or about the mundane details of adulting when you feel like anything but an adult?

Can I simultaneously make a positive impact on the world, when sometimes, all I want to do is bitch about something that irritated me, like traffic or tourists?

Decisions, decisions.

I wear - like many of you - so many freaking hats. Mom. Wife. Friend. Chauffeur. Chef. Maid. Babysitter. Bookkeeper. Writer. Creator. Inspirer. Dreamer. Doer. Baker. Sassy pants. Leader. Follower. Fun-haver.

The list goes on.

Why, I asked myself, if I wear so many hats, would I limit my public writing space to just one? That sounded just so dull. 

I plan to have this blog as an adventure. A fun and funky road trip. Really, who knows where this windy path is going to take us.

So I tossed that "theme" shit to the wind and came up with this blog.

I'm a short girl with big ambitions, full of stories from all parts of my life. And yep - even some that aren't part of my real life. I'll throw in a little fiction, just for giggles. This is going to be a blog without an overall theme, because labels are lame.

I'll tell you what else this blog will contain:

Tales from a girl who married and had kids young, who has a huge and wildly amazing family. A girl who has strange fears and maybe too high of expectations and too little patience. A girl who really loves her friends, and really loves to make a difference. A girl who has no qualms about being silly, or frivolous, or even, on occasion, very cheap frugal.

You'll get tales from a girl who really cracks herself up, but also cries at happy-sad commercials and sappy, crappy movies.

You'll get stories from a girl who fucking loves the f-bomb, but tries to be appropriate in (most) social and professional gatherings. Probably not as much on here, though, because really, this blog is a spot for me to be authentically myself. And, since I like to cuss, there will be some spicy language to season the tales found on these virtual pages.

You'll get stories from a girl who believes in the good in the world, in seeing the best in people, and who believes that the universe is too small for us here, on this teeny, tiny speck of a planet, to know everything that's out there. A girl who believes miracles and the unbelievable still exist, out there somewhere, waiting with bated breath.

Some of these stories might be from my day to day life. Some might be works of fiction. Hopefully, these stories will provide someone with entertainment. More than that, they'll provide me with creative relief.

So, my friend, if you find yourself here and made it this far - allow me to officially welcome you to this adventure!


3 comments:

  1. Excited for this new endeavor for you! (And I totally get the "theme" frustration!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, girlie! That means a lot coming from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, girlie! That means a lot coming from you!

    ReplyDelete